Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Who are our teachers?

My name is Shannon Jarvis, and I will be the lead teacher.  I hold a degree in education from the University of Missouri-Columbia, with an emphasis in early childhood.  I taught in Columbia Public Schools for 4 years, was the director & lead teacher at a parent co-op preschool called Humpty Dumpty for two years, and ran a small mother's day out program for 6 years called Rock Bridge Playschool.  The last 2 years running the playschool my husband & I were also home educating our 2 children, so it was very busy!  We decided to sell the school and focus more on educating our own children, who were in 2nd & 4th grades at the time we closed.  The next year I taught one day per week at a University Model School (Heritage Academy) for grades k-2, which still required too much of my time away from home & in planning, so the next year we started a home school co-op.  This was great fun!  One day per week, 122 children in nursery through high school met at a church for various classes such as chinese, art, speech, latin (which I taught), Missouri history, Spanish, writing, orienteering, etc. In 2006 we had the opportunity to move to this area, and jumped at the chance to live in the country of NE Mo. & be closer to my husband's aging parents & his brother & his family who also home school. 
We have been very involved in the home school community in Quincy since the day we moved here!  Many of the people in the group are like family and we love having the time with our children at home.  Our oldest child recently graduated & our next oldest will graduate this year - but we have a 5 & 3 year old coming right up next!  We'd love for them to get some play time with other little ones, and having the playschool when our older ones were young was really fun for all of us.  That is one of the models for starting Countryside Playschool - a small family setting focused on play.  Our old playschool also had a mixed aged group, which I love and is the most natural & family-like.  I've extended the age up to 6 as well, so that older ones can take advantage of being the big helpers and teaching the little ones (down to age 2).  Our oldest daughter learned so much & was such a help when she was that age, helping me!  Now our 5 year old will have that experience, and still have plenty of time for learning to read & other more "formal" kindergarten things at home :0)
Our oldest daughter Abbie will be assisting me this semester.  She has experience with her own siblings of course, as well as part time nanny positions for 2 other Quincy families.  She loves art & you can be sure we'll have lots of art experiences during our playschool hours!
There are already several homeschool families interested in attending Countryside, but you do not have to be a homeschooling family to come here.  After learning more about home education though, you may decide you'd like to give it a try!  I am happy to answer any questions you have or refer you to others who can help you in the educational journey with your children.
Blessings to you and I look forward to meeting you!
Shannon
The Jarvis Family

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My daughter Laura attended the Rock Bridge Playschool and thrived there with the balance of play and structured activities under Mrs Jarvis' loving care. She actually remembers it and there's not many things she remembers from ages 3 and 4. At the time I was also homeschooling my 3 elementary aged boys, and playschool mornings were such a blessing to me and to Laura. I would thoroughly recommend the Countryside Preschool for the wonderfully rich and loving environment I know it will be. Linda G